Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Making Chevre, or fresh soft goat cheese; day one

Several times for dayboard I have made fresh goat's milk cheese. For people not familiar with this insanely easy way of making goat cheese, here is my modern method.

- Heat the goat milk to circa 90 degrees F (or use body warm raw milk straight from the source, my preference).



 - measure out 1/8 tsp of culture (I use MM100) per gallon




- add 1 drop of rennet (for up to 5 gallons I think). I use rennet made from calf's stomach; it is also available made from a vegetable source.


- whisk calmly all around and up and down to incorporate culture & rennet




- put in oven, turned off but with (pilot) light on. This makes a perfect insulated box.



- wait until the next morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment